Monday, February 25, 2008

My Night at the Oscars

For reasons that I won't go into, I found myself awake at 4 am today. I figured as long as I was up and semi-alert, I'd check to see what was happening at the Academy Awards. Even in the States, I don't watch the Oscars every year, but this year I was rooting for Marion Cotillard, who will now be the French Ambassadress to Hollywood with her Best Actress win.

I couldn't watch the ceremony on French TV (Canal+ is available for free only at certain hours) and had to glean the news of winners drip by drip from the Oscars web site. Torture! So forgive me if I'm being picky, but I had too much time on my hands in between announcements. I was going nuts staring at the same typo over and over on the screen.

What with the writer's strike just ending, there must have been a shortage of proofreaders to double-check the information on the site. 5:01 a.m. "Best Foriegn Language film was The Counterfeiters." Wait, wait -- or should that be The Counterfieters?

Madame Polly-Vous Fussbudget sent them a quick email from Paris saying "It's 'Foreign', not 'Foriegn.'"

Lo and behold, they fixed it within an hour.

A few thoughts.

1) It's highly possible that other viewers informed them of the misspelled word; but most other people were busy watching the show, right?

2) I know that I make typos all the time. But I don't have a Hollywood budget. Just a Pollywood budget.

2 comments:

blueVicar said...

Pollywood...

you are such a hoot, Polly dear. How do these inspirations come to you? And in the wee hours of the morning too...

tsk, tsk, tsk...hope you got back to sleep...

Meilleurs voeux!!

Polly-Vous Francais said...

I think some of my best ideas come when I'm totally sleep-deprived. Or at least that's when I'm willing to put them in print...

bizous!

Locations of visitors to this page
Travel Blogs - Blog Catalog Blog Directory blog search directory Targeted Website Traffic - Webmasters helping webmasters develop high value relevant links. Promoting ethical web-marketing using the time trusted pillars of relevance and popularity.