Saturday, February 02, 2008

Update on Deyrolle

I stopped by Deyrolle this morning to see the extent of the damage from yesterday's fire. There was considerable damage to floors and wooden furnishings. Here are the charred remains thrown into the courtyard in back.


The large animals were poking their heads out the windows, almost as if calling for help.

Workers were clearing all the animals out, first moving the smaller ones into a truck.


These beasts seemed to want to head across the zebra crossing. First an employee was blowing ashes and soot from their fur with a hair dryer. Crowds stopped by to ask about the fate of the animals and to express their sympathy.


But here's the good news.
Deyrolle says they'll be back in business again very soon.

6 comments:

Polly-Vous Francais said...

BTW at the deyrolle.fr site there is a place where devotees of the store can leave a personal message of support. It's a rather touching testimony to this much-beloved institution.

lady jicky said...

May I ask a question? I have always wondered how Deyrolle make a living. Do people buy those animals or is it like a museum and there is a entrance fee?
Sorry if I sound stupid.

My Inner French Girl said...

Oh, I'm so glad to know that the animals appear to be all right! It sounds like a weirdly fascinating place, just the kind of museum I would visit. Sans veggie husband, of course.

Salut,
Marjorie

Polly-Vous Francais said...

I don't know the entire story of Deyrolle, but it's a much beloved Paris institution, now owned by the Prince de Broglie. Although it may have originally been for taxidermied hunting trophies 150 years ago, from what I understand now all the "naturalized" animals have died natural deaths (with certificates to prove it) and are given a "second life". Some go to museums, some are purchased by wealthy individuals. Deyrolle also rents out the animals for photo shoots, movies (like Asterix?), commercials, and store window displays.

I have some gorgeous seashells from Deyrolle; maybe I'll post a photo of them in my next update.

Amy Alkon said...

Oh, I am just distraught to hear about this, but glad to hear they will be back.

Polly-Vous Francais said...

Here's an update from the IHT

http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/03/28/arts/blume.php?page=1

Locations of visitors to this page
Travel Blogs - Blog Catalog Blog Directory blog search directory Targeted Website Traffic - Webmasters helping webmasters develop high value relevant links. Promoting ethical web-marketing using the time trusted pillars of relevance and popularity.