Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Bouquinistes, quai de la Tournelle

© Polly-Vous Francais

The bouquinistes on the quai de la Tournelle are the subject of many photographs and paintings There is the quintessentially picturesque Paris view of the book stalls themselves, plus Notre Dame looming in the background.

I bought this painting (for chump change!) at a brocante in Boulogne about a year ago. For some reason I was instantly drawn to its dream-like quality. Oil paint on wood, unsigned, about 18" X 24", somewhat unfinished. It's a little dirty and getting dried out. But it intrigues me daily.

The more I look at it the more I see. The tall somnolent men gazing placidly at the books. The silvery blue shadows shining on the low wall. The lush, verdant trees. The a languid, serene atmosphere. Judging from the fashions, I think it is from the 1940s or 50s.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Are the bouqinistes fewer in number these days? It seemed like it the last time I saw Paris...

Locations of visitors to this page
Travel Blogs - Blog Catalog Blog Directory blog search directory Targeted Website Traffic - Webmasters helping webmasters develop high value relevant links. Promoting ethical web-marketing using the time trusted pillars of relevance and popularity.