Monday, November 17, 2008

Madame l'Ambassadeur Kennedy Schlossberg?

Dear President-Elect Obama,

I admit that I am leaving my beloved Paris soon, so my voice doesn't pack the punch that others' opinions might have.

I know that it is a busy time for you, and that you will not be announcing any official nominations for Ambassadorships until the much-hallowed date, January 20, 2009.

I have heard rumors that you might be mulling offering Caroline Kennedy Schlossberg the post of Ambassador to the United Nations or Ambassador to the Court of St. James.

Please, Mr. Obama. Please. If I can ask one favor of you: would you please consider offering her the post of Ambassador to France?

Ms. Kennedy Schlossberg speaks fluent French. Her father was President of the United States. Her mother Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy was of French descent, and French citizens spanning many generations revere her family for many reasons, especially remembering her parents' triumphant visit here (or memories of it) in 1961.

France deserves it. US-French relations, though already much improved of late, deserve it.

U.S. Ambassador Craig Stapleton has done a wonderful job strengthening the bond between France and the U.S., along with his French counterpart Jean-David Levitte. Appointing Caroline Kennedy Schlossberg as the next U.S. Ambassador to France would take those steps and advance them squarely, strongly in the new 21st century.

I've been a pretty good civilian ambassador myself, I think, but I'm not pitching for the Big job. Yet.

Very truly yours,

Polly-Vous Francais

P.S. A personal note to Ms. Kennedy Schlossberg: I know you don't know this, but I saved you a lot of angst and trouble when you were an undergrad at Harvard and I was a recent college grad living in the Square. Scores of people thought I was you. They accosted me and asked for information about your family. Some reacted in disbelief when I told them a) that I wasn't you and b) that if I were Caroline Kennedy that , duh, I wouldn't be working a day job in the apparel department at Design Research. Not that you Owe Me One, but let me tell you: if there had been major paparazzi back then, I could have been your decoy. So as an ardent promoter of French-American relationships, I beg you to please push for the position of Ambassador to France. And I promise to never let Louise Bourgoin in your sight. Merci.

3 comments:

Evelyn said...

Brilliant choice!

Who is Mary Blake? said...

Great idea Polly.
You're brilliant.
Mary

Polly-Vous Francais said...

Now there's speculation that it might be Anna Wintour???

http://nymag.com/daily/fashion/2009/01/lets_speculate_about_anna_wint.html

If Ms. Kennedy-Scholssberg became Ambassador, at least it would calm down all the Senator brouhaha.

Locations of visitors to this page
Travel Blogs - Blog Catalog Blog Directory blog search directory Targeted Website Traffic - Webmasters helping webmasters develop high value relevant links. Promoting ethical web-marketing using the time trusted pillars of relevance and popularity.