Friday, March 21, 2008

A Cute French Chick

"Never Underestimate the Cleaning Power of a 94 Year-Old Chick With a French Name."

That was the slogan from the advertising campaign of Bon Ami cleanser in the 1980s. Incurable Francophile that I was (and am), I liked Bon Ami simply because of its French name. When I was growing up, there was always a can of Bon Ami under the kitchen sink. When this advertising campaign emerged two decades ago, I re-discovered it on the supermarket shelf and starting using Bon Ami as a grown-up domestic diva. Anything vaguely French-sounding was okay by me. And it worked well on all the items that couldn't be scoured with abrasives.




I seem to remember another slogan, "95 years old, and this French Chick hasn't Scratched Yet." I also liked the fact that the old-fashioned company had a good sense of humor.

Of course I don't think many people refer to women as "chicks" any more. But I recently found out that Bon Ami is still produced. What's more, it turns out that it is environmentally friendly. (It stands to reason, I guess, since the non-toxic formula was concocted more than a century ago.)

I contacted the marketing department, who very kindly gave me one-time rights to use their wonderful copyrighted images. So I'm including a few of them as a gift of Springtime or Easter or whatever else you might want to be celebrating this weekend.

I am a Good Friend, n'est-ce pas?

This image can be saved as wallpaper. Adorable!

All images copyright 2008 Faultless Starch/Bon Ami Company

7 comments:

francophilia.com said...

You are a hard case, just like me! I was mad at my mom for using Comet instead of Bon Ami!

Barbara said...

I love Bon Ami for my pots and pans. Too bad I can't buy it here.

Polly-Vous Francais said...

I don't know if there is a Bon Ami equivalent in France (the scrubbing powder, that is...)

I liked it as a substitute for SoftScrub and all the chemicals.

Joyeuse Paques!

smilnsigh said...

Wonderful entry! :-)

Mari-Nanci

The Diva said...

I love this post. Do you want us to ship you a case of Bon Ami? We can still get it in good old Oklahoma.

Joyeuse Paques! Thank you for your fun blog.~~Dee

Unknown said...

Bon Ami was the least expensive cleanser I could find when I was a penurious student. I still use it - yes, only now it's the eco-friendliness of the product and its name.

Polly-Vous Francais said...

Thanks for the offer, Dee! Fun idea, but I don't know how French Customs agents would deal with that one...

I'll probably pick up a can next time I'm in the states.

Locations of visitors to this page
Travel Blogs - Blog Catalog Blog Directory blog search directory Targeted Website Traffic - Webmasters helping webmasters develop high value relevant links. Promoting ethical web-marketing using the time trusted pillars of relevance and popularity.