Thursday, October 09, 2008

Pylones

Pylones is one of those stores.

When I first moved to Paris, I found it so witty and funny. Lots of wacky, impractical items, but also lots of other practical stuff that simply allows you to whistle while you work. Always something to make you smile.

After traipsing around Paris enough, though, it seemed as though Pylones boutiques were in virtually every arrondissement, and I grew a bit weary of the chain-store mentality.

But, oh, they do offer all sorts of irresistibly whimsical and entertaining merchandise, and I find myself drawn in, especially when out-of-town guests are around. I inevitable buy the alligator staple-remover (I needed a staple-remover for my desk anyway, so might as well have one that makes me smile, right?). Or the 3-D Eiffel Tower cut-out post card. Non-essential but definitely memorable. And just inexpensive enough to satisfy the budget impulse-shopping cravings. Funny corkscrews, playful salad servers, all in bright, colorful plastic. Silly rubber gloves.

But the latest draw for me is the reading glasses. (Please don't snicker if you don't need reading glasses yet -- you will some day!) Pylones has the most stylish reading glasses in Paris for the money.

Today, for the umpteenth time this month, I got a random compliment about my reading glasses, when I put them on to look at the bus map.

So here's the scoop. Reading glasses, 10€ a pair, all levels from 1.0 to 3.50 (maybe higher, but I'm in denial), including a matching case. All sorts of colorful patterns. The next cheapest reading glasses [loupes de lecture] I've found elsewhere in Paris are 20€ at parapharmacies. You do the math.


But you have to be willing to be a bit wacky. Make a bold style ...um ... statement?

Face it, you don't have much to lose once you admit visual defeat.

7 comments:

Jay Livingston said...

I remember happening upon the one on l'Ile St. Louis and thinking what an amusing store. I didn't realize it was a chain. But why haven't they opened in NYC? Oh wait, they have. There are three of them, just none in my quartier.

Starman said...

Those reading glasses do look great and stylish. Fortunately, I don't need reading glasses. Of course, I'm just a kid, so who knows?

Firebird007 said...

Most colorful post!

Loved the alligator.

David in Setouchi said...

How come I've never paid attention to these stores (except maybe the one on Ile St Louis... maybe...)

Oh well, I don't care, I already have an alligator/staple remover (got it in Gainesville, FL, where else?)

Red said...

I have an alligator staple remover too! I love him. He works so hard.

Renee Maxfield said...

My favorite location is in the mall under the Louvre - they have the biggest selection, the coolest window display I've seen in a long time using a bunch of their colorful products. And I LOVE my black with white polka dots reading glasses - I'm so bummed b/c I can't get them through the NYC store online. I'm going to make my daughter track down a couple extra pairs while she's in London this summer. The glasses being so cute makes it bearable having to recently start wearing them!!

Renee Maxfield said...

My favorite location in Paris is in the mall under the Louvre - they have the biggest selection, and the coolest window display I've seen in a long time using a bunch of their colorful products. And I LOVE my black with white polka dots reading glasses - I'm so bummed b/c I can't get them through the NYC store online. I'm going to make my daughter track down a couple extra pairs while she's in London this summer. The glasses being so cute makes it bearable having to recently start wearing them!!

Locations of visitors to this page
Travel Blogs - Blog Catalog Blog Directory blog search directory Targeted Website Traffic - Webmasters helping webmasters develop high value relevant links. Promoting ethical web-marketing using the time trusted pillars of relevance and popularity.