Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Monsieur Jacques a Dit?

Ooh, I love to read supposedly scathing articles about the French in the New York Times. So provocative. But, um, not really. Today there was a great slice-and-dice piece about food critic François Simon, perhaps more popularly recognized outside gastronomic circles as the ultimately-redeemed villain Anton Ego in Ratatouille.

I can't presume to judge the culinary dialectic. But I do have another bone to pick. For, although the NYT article refers to his Monsieur Simon's two food blogs, as a blogger I was disappointed that it contained no hyperlink to either the French- or English-language versions of "Simon Says!" Seems a disservice to their readers. So I'm glad to oblige.

Well, even if Simon is sometimes a demanding, dismissive restaurant critic and occasionally a biting cynic, his image was measurably softened in the film version by Peter O'Toole's sentimental portrayal of a character with an artichoke hide and a mousse center. And a lover of the genuine article.


4 comments:

Isabelle said...

Thank you for the link to François Simon's blog, Polly! I didn't know he had one...
I usually read his restaurants' reviews in Le Figaroscope. They are always very "spirituelles" :)

Evelyn said...

Polly...thanks for sharing this link. I'm always looking for blogs about food and Paris.

Starman said...

I LOVE(D) this movie.

christophe dore said...

Thank you for the link to Simonsays/english. Your are in our favorites now ;-)
Please note that in the English version, there are not only my suggestions but also the best restaurants according to Joe Ray, our food writer and a selection of hotels off the beaten tracks.

Locations of visitors to this page
Travel Blogs - Blog Catalog Blog Directory blog search directory Targeted Website Traffic - Webmasters helping webmasters develop high value relevant links. Promoting ethical web-marketing using the time trusted pillars of relevance and popularity.