Friday, May 28, 2010

French Grocery List

In the French-American school where I work, lunchtime conversation in the faculty kitchen is invariably lively and spiced with the latest French news, gossip, and debate.  The dry-erase board's grocery list, however, is usually rather bland and limited to all-American staples such as sugar packets and disposable wooden coffee-stirrers.

Ah, but the end of the school year is upon us, and the crowds are clearly craving more adventurous fare, from all corners of the Hexagone.  I spied this list today:


1. Piment d'espelette, a spicy pepper from the Basque region.



2. Champagne.  Needs no intro, but hails from, duh, the Champagne region of France.


3.  Chocolate cake.  Universal.  Many of my French friends have a special family chocolate-cake recipe which they will never divulge.   Ever.  The "I-love-this-cake-can-I-have-the-recipe" ploy falls on deaf ears.

4. Calvados.  Ahh, Calva!  Now we've got northern France covered in this list.

5.  Pineau des Charentes.  A personal favorite. Try it some time in a sweet, tiny half-canteloupe as a first course.  From my beloved Ile de Re.



Glad I've got my shopping list.  Now I'm ready for the long weekend!

8 comments:

Alison said...

This is going to sound weird, but I know a French person wrote that list. Not because of the contents, but because of the handwriting.

Polly-Vous Francais said...

Not weird at all! It's part of what I loved about the list. (My handwriting looks nothing like this...)

And actually, I think that it was perhaps a combined effort, or at least a cumulative one. The "s" are very French, but a bit different.

Made me smile.

Anne said...

Sounds wonderful! Now, what I know is where does one go shopping for this list??

All good wishes!!

Anonymous said...

I feel such a bad French - I had never heard of the piment !

It's true that French sometimes like to keep their recipes secret :-D

Kim - Easy French Food said...

Count me in on the Pineau. Even if I'm not drinking, I'll have to have a glass of that if someone offers. Too yummy.

The French write differently there is no doubt. The number one is what I will never master. Even when I do it their way, you can tell it's not right.

Your blog is so fun for me to peruse. Little bits and bobs of life that I can truly relate to. Thanks.

Starman said...

I have never been able to find Calvados in the US.

Nikolay Kotev said...

Very beauriful blog!
Nick

Anonymous said...

Can Pineau be purchased in the US?

Locations of visitors to this page
Travel Blogs - Blog Catalog Blog Directory blog search directory Targeted Website Traffic - Webmasters helping webmasters develop high value relevant links. Promoting ethical web-marketing using the time trusted pillars of relevance and popularity.