Sunday, October 24, 2010

The Circus at Ile Seguin

Ile Seguin has always been a source of fascination to me. Located in the Seine next to Paris, just off of Boulogne-Billancourt, it was known for years as the location of the iconic Renault factory.

Then the factory was demolished, and there was talk of Francois Pinault establishing a museum there (fell through) then of relocating the American University of Paris to part of the island, to consolidate its campus, with urban housing. Then, in an about-face, it seemed decided that it would become a cultural center.

Latest news is that the Cirque du Soleil will make its home on the island, along with a 15-hall Pathé multiplex cinema.

Such a dynamic and prime location. Can't wait to see what finally unfolds.

Photo credit: Pierre Giron Photographies.

5 comments:

Fifi Flowers said...

oooh la la... keep us updated!!!

Anonymous said...

It reminds be a bit of the Isle of Nantes, a similar location where the shipyards were. It's now home to artists.

Margaret said...

Groan! Now everyone on the planet will think that Cirque du Soleil is French instead of Canadian!

Zhu, I would love to see the Isle of Nantes. I wonder if it is like Vancouver's Granville Island? I loved going there this summer. And seeing the Cirque du Soleil for the first time too. :-) That day was such a treat.

So much potential in a blank space in an urban area. I don't think a multiplex cinema is quite the most unique thing one could do with a special spot like Île Seguin. Surrounded by water, shouldn't it be something that makes use of the outdoors? Why not a park, one with wide-open spaces for picnics and events, with a covered outdoor theatre for concerts?

Less profitable, I suppose....

Anonymous said...

Hello,
When you use photo from an other website, it should be fair to put a link to this site, at least, or indicate where you find this photo...
I find one of my photo on your site, without any authorization, nor any message to inform me...
No problem, you can keep this photo. This message is just to show you that photographers can find their "stolen" pictures ;-))

Your blog is very sympa !
Pierre Giron / Pierphoto
http://pierphoto.com

Polly-Vous Francais said...

My sincere apologies, Pierre! I am usually meticulous about crediting sources (and asking first) and maybe I thought I had found the image on wikipedia (and normally I credit wikipedia, too.) It was never my intention to steal a photo -- in fact, I prefer to share links to cool French websites. I don't know what I was thinking. I have updated the post to credit your wonderful photography. Or I can remove it --whichever you'd prefer. Cheers,
Polly

Locations of visitors to this page
Travel Blogs - Blog Catalog Blog Directory blog search directory Targeted Website Traffic - Webmasters helping webmasters develop high value relevant links. Promoting ethical web-marketing using the time trusted pillars of relevance and popularity.