Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Bastille Day 2009

Happy Bastille Day!

It's still a source of happy amazement to me how much the US celebrates Bastille Day. And though le quatorze juillet is over in France, the Bastille Day celebrations continue all week here. I'm attending my local Alliance Française event on Saturday July 18 at a nearby vineyard.

But today our Cercle Français had our own fete, a pot-luck luncheon. Er, a little admission: I get cuisine anxiety when cooking for French people, even if they're dear friends. Today was no exception. But after a morning fraught with missteps and not-so-silent oaths to kitchen gods and Julia Child, I managed to pull together a respectable Salade Niçoise. So who cares if the vinaigrette landed in the bottom of the plastic grocery bag? I poured it on anyway. Here's the final result.

10 comments:

Isabelle said...

Bravo Polly!
Looks yummy :)

Louise Grenadine said...

You're celebrating Bastille day during the whole week ? Wow, such a surprise. =)
Your Salade niçoise looks like very nice. =)

Chris said...

Happy Bastille Day. I had two celebrations so far. *wink*

Maria said...

it appears to have "motion"....very cool.

Starman said...

Great looking salade. Je préfère Salade Lyonnais, il est trés bon.

Anne Marie said...

My husband and I were in Paris 10 years ago for Bastille Day. It was the most amazing parade/celebration I have ever been part of, as well as the biggest crowd. They know how to "party"!!

Harriet said...

Compliments to the chef. Beautiful presentation.

Madelyn E said...

It looks too beautiful to eat - Congratulations !

T. said...

That looks amazing. Now I want some. :)

Parisbreakfasts said...

Wonderful looking salad!
Bravo!!
The New York Bastille day is a commercial horror in my opinion :(

Locations of visitors to this page
Travel Blogs - Blog Catalog Blog Directory blog search directory Targeted Website Traffic - Webmasters helping webmasters develop high value relevant links. Promoting ethical web-marketing using the time trusted pillars of relevance and popularity.