Wednesday, October 01, 2008

We Are Animals in Blue Jeans

The latest Wrangler's television commercial has been gaining a bit of attention in the US, from what I've heard. The voice-over is distinctly French, and the philosophy is 100% existential.

Reaction has been mixed, I gather; but I liked its intelligent approach. Le mythe de Sisyphe and all that.

There was only one cultural speed-bump for me, when I thought the French voice was asking, "Why do we spit up?" (Yeah, I used to have little babies. We had terry shoulder towels for that. Never enough time to ask "why?")

Gawker, on the other hand, though the ad was fit for the poubelle, not for American consumption.

What do you think? Is it a pretentious French approach or a thoughtful, daring attempt at making American consumers (dare I say) think?

French admen Fred & Farid -- no strangers to brazen ad campaigns, like their Orangina "Naturellement Pulpeuse" series -- are avant-garde enough to break into the American market with a notably philosophical ad.

4 comments:

Alison said...

I like it. But then, I'm French. ;-)

Anonymous said...

I thought he said "why do we speed up", since there was a runner, but then I couldn't understand the next line.

Frenchlover said...

I am an American, but a major Francophile. I like it. I tend to like the unusual ads that make us think or are subtly funny.

Isabelle said...

Is it so obvious that the voice-over is French?
OK, I'm French so I might not be hearing the subtleties in the accent.
But at least it isn't like Peter Sellers in the Pink Panther!

Locations of visitors to this page
Travel Blogs - Blog Catalog Blog Directory blog search directory Targeted Website Traffic - Webmasters helping webmasters develop high value relevant links. Promoting ethical web-marketing using the time trusted pillars of relevance and popularity.