Thursday, October 23, 2008

Polly Arrow Barcelona

One of the things that happens when you realize that you're going to be moving away from Paris (or any place, I imagine) is the mad scramble to do all the stuff you haven't done in the time you've been there.

One thing I haven't done much is travel beyond Paris.

So hola! Here I am in Barcelona. Of course I was inspired by Vicky Cristina Barcelona, yes I admit I saw it twice in Paris. But I had wanted to go to Barcelona for a long time and never had the impetus until it occurred to me that I have precious little remaining time when I could just "hop down" to Spain for a short jaunt. And when I found that the round-trip on Iberia was $145-- well there wasn't much stopping me. Only an hour and a half plane ride.

So here I am mid-week, exploring Barcelona, amazed that it's taken me so long to discover this enchanting, buzzing, humming city. As is my practice in any new city, the first day I rode one of the double-decker hop-on-hop-off buses, just to get my bearings. There was so much to cover -- such a dizzying array of sights and culture and sensory input that I needed to shut down for a while to absorb it all. Four days in Barcelona is barely enough to scratch the surface.

And no kidding, the first sight I saw from the turista bus was this. Worthy of a post of its own, perhaps.

Next: Gaudi, Tibidabo, and more.

10 comments:

pdxknitterati/MicheleLB said...

We went to the Statue of Liberty for the first time when we decided to move away from NY after nine years there. Had to get it done!

I like the double-decker buses for first day orientations, too. Looks like you're having a grand time!

Isabelle said...

I think that the Polly bus is a strong sign that your next life (sooner or later) will be in Barcelona ;)

Evelyn said...

I agree with Isabelle...it's a 'sign'

M said...

Extra class sleeping huh? Lucky someone :-)

Starman said...

I've wanted to go to Barcelona for quite some time now. I almost made it last time I was in Paris (May-July 2008). Current plans are for next September for a month or so.

Lora said...

Way Cool!

Shelli said...

We loved Barcelona and plan to go back, but it's a bit farther for us. Maybe when we move to Paris.

Enjoy your stay Polly, but I'm sure you'll be back.

Unknown said...

You're leaving Paris? Why? Where to?

Polly-Vous Francais said...

Barcelona is a magical place. Stay tuned for a few more posts.

Who knows what the crystal ball has in store, but right now it has the US in the cross-hairs for me. And finding a francophile's life there as best I can.

Craig, I admit that I slipped my departure notice a bit too subtly into the end of a post

http://pollyvousfrancais.blogspot.com/2008/10/theres-always-room-for-one-more-book.html

probably because it's too sad for me to think about leaving this wonderful city. Leaving Paris is not what I had planned, but Life is what happens when you're making other plans. I still have another month here. And Paris will always be a part of me, no matter where on earth I am.

So for now I'm living my life here as if Paris were my oyster, soaking up all that is the best of la vie a Paris.

The Nag said...

I loved Barcelona! It's got it all, heritage, architecture, great food, mountains and beaches. It's small enough to explore and has such a young vibe. It's second only to Paris in my travel rolodex.

Locations of visitors to this page
Travel Blogs - Blog Catalog Blog Directory blog search directory Targeted Website Traffic - Webmasters helping webmasters develop high value relevant links. Promoting ethical web-marketing using the time trusted pillars of relevance and popularity.