Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Raindrops Fallin' on My Head

Heading to the FNAC on rue de Rennes today, I stroll down rue du Cherche Midi. A gorgeous January day: the sky is cerulean blue, and puffs of white clouds lazily glide overhead.

I turn the corner on the tiny rue Blaise Desgoffe. It's raining -- a real downpour.

A quick glance upwards. Am I dreaming? No, the sun is still shining brilliantly.

Approaching the bend in the narrow street, I spot three 25-foot-tall telescoping sprinklers showering the building and the street in front. Inside Le Palace café, there are bright lights. A film crew! Fat rubber hoses run down the street from the corner, to supply the water for the rainmakers.

Ah, Paris, so photogenic. It seems there is always a movie being filmed in any given arrondissement. Now at least I know how the special effects guys create those rainy-day-outside-the-café mood scenes. Should have brought my umbrella.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fabulous! But did you hear the (real) rain here last night? Such a downpour.

Polly-Vous Francais said...

Hi Passementeries,
No, I didn't hear rain last night; it's funny, on my courtyard, unless the wind is really blowing, all rain just sounds like drips. Also, I''ve been told that different areas of Paris have different weather. Can that be true? Sounds unusual; I'll have to look into it.

Keep dry!

Anonymous said...

Did you take a photo????

Polly-Vous Francais said...

I was just planning for a quick errand to Fnac (to get a new mouse for my computer), so no camera! It would have been a cool shot to show the cafe from the outside, in the rain. I love photos of photo shoots.

Panic in New York said...

They were filming a movie about Coluche on our street the other day. It was surreal in a 1970's French sort of way.

Polly-Vous Francais said...

Panic -- You are SO getting put in my links -- I just read your blog.

Welcome to Paris -- not sure how long you've been here; couldn't leave comments on your blog.

Polly

Locations of visitors to this page
Travel Blogs - Blog Catalog Blog Directory blog search directory Targeted Website Traffic - Webmasters helping webmasters develop high value relevant links. Promoting ethical web-marketing using the time trusted pillars of relevance and popularity.